Personal pronouns digunakan untuk mengganti benda, hewan atau orang.
Raymond bought a new camera three months ago. He absolutely loves it.
Pada kalimat kedua di atas ada dua buah personal pronouns, yaitu He dan it. Kata he mengganti kata Raymond dan kata it mengganti kata camera.
Penggunaan personal pronouns tergantung dari beberapa hal, diantaranya yaitu:
- Personal pronouns sebagai subject atau object
- Personal pronouns sebagai singular atau plural
- Personal pronouns sebagai pengganti orang laki-laki atau perempuan
- Personal pronouns sebagai pengganti orang pertama, kedua atau ketiga
Berikut ini adalah daftar kata personal pronouns:
He/him digunakan untuk merujuk kepada laki-laki dan she/her untuk merujuk kepada perempuan. Saat kita tidak yakin apakah seseorang itu laki-laki atau perempuan maka kita bisa menggunakan they/them. Contoh:
- This is Amadeo. He’s my brother. I don’t think you have met him.
- This is Citra. She’s my sister. Have you met her before?
- Talk to a teacher. Ask them to help you.
- You could go to a friend. They might help you.
Berikut ini adalah beberapa contoh penggunaan personal pronouns sebagai subject:
- You are happy.
- You are late.
- You are my best student.
- Do you like ice-cream?
- I like ice-cream.
- I love learning Japanese!
- I like your dress.
- I really like spaghetti.
- Ninda and I are meeting in Jakarta in July.
- He runs fast.
- He is my cousin
- He is clever.
- He is from Jogja.
- He is running up and down the stairs.
- She has a nice voice.
- She is on holiday
- She forgot his laptop.
- Novi did not come to school yesterday. She had to go to the doctor
- She is dreaming.
- She is riding his bike.
- She has got a sister.
- She often reads until late at night.
- Come look at my cat! She has climbed to the top of that tree.
- It doesn’t work.
- It is raining
- It was on the the refrigerator.
- It is easy to understand.
- It is Blue.
- We have to leave soon.
- We went home.
- We live in Australia.
- Should we go jogging before or after breakfast?
- Is it ok if we finish early today?
- We are watching TV.
- We would love for you to join us.
- Do you need a table for four?
- Would you prefer ice-cream or peppermint tea?
- They all cleaned up together.
- They come from Bandung.
- They all lived happily ever after.
- They won the league.
- I bought some batteries, but they weren’t included.
- They are on the wall.
- They are in the lobby.
Berikut ini adalah beberapa contoh penggunaan personal pronouns sebagai object:
- Yayuk helped me.
- Can you help me please?
- Can they hear me?
- She is waiting for me.
- Stop laughing at me.
- Arif loves you.
- I can see you.
- I will wait for you.
- I’ll get it for you.
- Did Haryo beat him?
- Abe went with her.
- Ratri said she wants to marry him.
- She doesn’t like him.
- Give it to him.
- I told him to stay home and study instead of going out.
- Does Maryam know her?
- What’s wrong with him?
- I saw her in town yesterday.
- Krisna knows her.
- Why are you looking at her?
- I want him to listen.
- Can the man fix it?
- Who broke it?
- Please pick up that piece of paper and take it with you.
- Bluher drove us.
- He will email us tomorrow.
- Don’t take it from us.
- Did Orig and Kania beat you at doubles?
- Is anyone sitting next to you?
- Orig and Kania beat them.
- Ricky gave them the letter.
- I will take them.
- We saw them in campus yesterday, but they didn’t see [us.
- I’ll speak to them.
- Where are the reports? I thought I gave them to you.
- Ask them if they will be joining us.